top of page
  • Writer's pictureGary O. Haase


When was the last time you moved?

Do you remember filling out all of those “change of address” forms?  How many different entities did you contact about your new address?  The U.S. Postal Service for your mail?  Your state motor vehicle agency for your driver’s license?  Your bank for your checking account?  The IRS for federal taxes, and your state agency for state taxes?

If you recently moved, or see a move in your near future, consider whether you should add “United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)” to your checklist of entities to contact about your change of address.

Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card

You may want to become familiar with Form AR-11 if you are in the U.S. on a nonimmigrant (temporary) visa, or if you are a permanent resident with a green card.  If you are not a U.S. citizen, you may be required to report a change of address within 10 days of your move within the U.S.  There are some exceptions for folks like diplomats and certain nonimmigrants.  You may be able to meet your requirement by mail or online.

Form I-865, Sponsor’s Notice of Change of Address

U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and U.S. nationals who have completed Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) to sponsor an immigrant may be required to report a change of address within 30 days if their sponsorship agreement is still effect.  Some people might not realize how long their sponsorship agreement lasts.  You may have signed a Form I-864 many years ago to help your sister or brother with their international marriage and failed to add USCIS to your checklist of entities to contact when you move.

Moving can be an exciting time.  Folks who have obtained U.S. immigration benefits, or who have become involved with the U.S. immigration system through a sponsorship, can take steps to ensure that they are satisfying their reporting obligations.


Gary O. Haase is a U.S. immigration attorney admitted in California and Japan (licensed foreign attorney).  This article is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice.  You should contact a qualified legal professional to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue.  The opinions expressed are those of the individual author and do not reflect the views or opinions of any nonprofit organization or government agency.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page